BACK PAIN CAUSES AND TREATMENT
If you suffer from back pain in this modern era of hectic lifestyles, stressful jobs, mobile device usage (tech neck), you’re not alone. 8 out of 10 people will experience back pain at one time or another. It doesn’t matter if the pain that you are experiencing is mild or severe, long term or short term, it can negatively affect your daily routine, leaving you feeling drained and frustrated. Studies have shown over 65 million Americans experience back pain at least once in their lifetime. Your back pain can be muscular, spinal, within your joints, or even discogenic (within your discs).
When your back pain strikes, it can become very difficult for you to work, care for your children, socialize with your friends, play sports, or simply take care of your basic household chores. Many Americans turn to costly pain medications, which only mask your symptoms and provide only temporary relief while having long lists of dangerous, life-threatening side effects. The good news is there are safer treatment options available. The next time the pain strikes, instead of heading to your pharmacy to try and numb your pain, reach out to the specialists at phyxMe, Chicago, IL and treat it at the pain at its source.
Dr. Daniel Jacobazzi has spent the last 20 years learning, implementing, and refining the latest researched and published techniques to control back pain. He has directly helped more than ten thousand people free themselves from the shackles of back pain through his work, and has trained his staff to help their patients using these powerfully effective techniques. All of his treatments are accomplished with all-natural, non-surgical, safe, and innovative methods.
Dr. Jacobazzi’s unique methods have been featured in dozens of newspapers, magazines and professional journals. He has been called one of Chicago’s most knowledgeable and educated pain experts. After years of experience in delivering both physical therapy and chiropractic treatment, he has developed a technique called Non-Surgical Spinal Remodeling as a way of treating pain and encouraging the natural healing processes of the body in order to achieve lasting results.
At phyxMe in Chicago IL, our staff understands how helpless a back or spinal problem can make you feel, and how much it can inconvenience and interrupt your life and the lives of those who depend on you. It is our mission to help people who suffer from pain just like you and help you find lasting relief and get back to enjoying your life as quickly as possible.
SYMPTOMS OF BACK PAIN
- Pain in the lower back
- Pain in the upper back
- Stiffness in the back
- Difficulty in moving, bending, lifting, working, socializing and playing sports / living an active lifestyle
- Aching or throbbing pain in one area or radiating down your leg on either side, or even both
- Sharp or dull pain in the back, lower back or upper back
- Experiencing difficulty standing upright without experiencing either pain or muscle spasms
TREATMENT FOR BACK PAIN IN CHICAGO
If not treated in a timely manner, back pain frequently becomes even more severe or even develops more serious and permanent complications over time. Instead of addressing the root cause of the problem, people often try to cope with their back problems by taking some type of pain relief medication; however, pain medications merely cover up the pain rather than treating the actual cause and should not be seen as a long term solution because long-term use of all pain-killers are associated with serious side effects, even something as basic as ibuprofen (Advil) can be potentially fatal. There are much better and more effective alternative treatments available, such as physical therapy and chiropractic care, which eliminate the pain without resorting to the use of NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), cortisone injections or opioid medications or even resorting to ineffective surgical procedures which, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association, fail as much as 70% of the time leading to failed back surgery syndrome.
HOW phyxMe HELPS
- Back pain is not a disease. Back pain is actually a condition, which should be treated by using manual therapy to restore normal movement to your spinal joints. Our back pain specialists at phyxMe in Chicago are able to perform physio therapeutic healing of the spine to reduce your pain, restore normal movement and improve the overall alignment of the spine (postural correction).
- Every session with our experienced physical therapist and staff helps to rejuvenate, restore and bring relief to our patients with back pain.
- We make certain the same staff will be there to treat you at each appointment in order to maintain consistency and to ensure each of your treatment sessions progressively builds on the progress of your previous visit.
- Physical therapy sessions for back pain at our center work towards promoting better body mechanics to achieve a optimal spinal position, posture and gait while decreasing the chance of any future problems developing.
Call us (or book online) today for your free back pain screening!
BACK PAIN – COMMON QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
by Daniel Jacobazzi, D.C., P.T.
WHAT CAUSES BACK PAIN?
Although conditions like spinal arthritis, tumors, and infections can cause back pain, the most common causes are injuries, poor posture, and degeneration of the spine. A fall or automobile accident — even a minor one — can affect spinal alignment, cause muscle strains, and damage ligaments or tendons. Poor posture can stress the spine and its supporting structures and may increase the risk of injury, especially when lifting. As people age, wear and tear can cause spinal structures to degenerate, resulting in nerve irritation that causes back pain.
DOES SPINAL ANATOMY AFFECT BACK PAIN?
In a word, yes. The human spine is a marvel of flexibility and is very complex: It has 33 bones connected to each other and other bones in the skeleton by muscles, ligaments, and tendons. The discs, which are the spine’s shock absorbers, are thick pieces of spongy cartilage between each vertebra (spinal bone), and the spinal cord runs through the center hole of each vertebra. Other nerves branch off from the spinal cord and run between the vertebrae. Complexity, flexibility, and many different moving parts can cause a high potential for problems like back pain.
WHY CHOOSE PHYSICAL THERAPY OVER PAIN MEDICATION?
Pharmaceuticals often promise complete relief of pain, but this relief often comes at a cost. Ongoing use of common pain medications leads to a decrease in effectiveness and a drastic increase in the harm they do to your body. Even in the short term certain anti-pain drugs can dramatically increase the chance of a heart attack, stroke, or other potentially fatal consequences. Adverse drug reactions are the 4th leading cause of death in the United States, affecting more than one in every ten people and hospitalizing countless more. This helps contribute to a feedback cycle where people seek out even more medication to treat their new symptoms, inevitably causing further damage.
Setting aside the fact that pain medication can cause irreversible damage to your body over time, and the fact that it declines in effectiveness with continued use, there is a third problem to consider. Normally when your body senses an injury it activates a series of healing processes to contain and correct the problem. Medication causes this natural response to go haywire, resulting in pain and inflammation that lasts for years as the root cause remains untreated. The physical therapy techniques employed by Dr. Jacobazzi work with your body’s natural healing systems to target the root of your pain and strengthen the surrounding areas in a way that can prevent it from reoccurring in the future.
COMMONLY PRESCRIBED DRUGS AND THEIR DANGEROUS SIDE-EFFECTS
- Aspirin/Acetylsalicylic Acid
- How many Aspirin would you need to take every day to manage your back pain? Taking just a single aspirin per day can increase your odds of having gastrointestinal bleeding or a perforated ulcer by as much as 200%.
- Tylenol is one of the most commonly used pain medications in America, both in prescriptions and as an over the counter solution. As a result of this widespread usage more than 78,000 Americans will pay a costly visit to the emergency room due to acetaminophen overdoses. It’s estimated that as many as 81% of all liver failure cases are a result of the use of acetaminophen, and is the leading cause for people calling Poison Control Centers.
- Advil/Ibuprofen, Aleve/Naproxen
- Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are another commonly used medication for pain management. Although they are safer than acetaminophen based products, these NSAIDs are not without their own dangers, and after just two months of use the odds of dying are around 1 in 1200, with a reported16,500 people dying from NSAID related complications every year and over 100,000 visiting the ER secondary to NSAID related issues.
- Vicodin, Lorcet, Norco, Percocet, Percodan, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone
- Left untreated, back pain will become a chronic, recurring issue that will respond less and less to everyday pain medications. This leads patients to either increase their dosages or seek out something even stronger, like these opiates. In 2015 more than 20,000 people died from an opiate overdose in the United States. They have the potential to become addictive after only three days of usage and can trigger a wide range of serious side-effects such as liver failure, ruptured or blocked bowels, sepsis, severe respiratory depression, confusion, coma, and complete cardiac arrest.
HOW DO THESE DANGEROUS DRUGS KEEP GETTING PRESCRIBED?
It is no secret that money is the driving force behind most things in America, and the pharmaceutical industry is no different. The major drug companies employ thousands of sales representatives to travel the country visiting hospitals, clinics, and doctor’s offices, providing free samples and other perks to help convince physicians to prescribe their products. These doctors are often overworked and understaffed, and offering a prescription to a patient can seem like a quick and easy way to send them on their way, requiring much less effort than determining the source of the problem and treating it. Unfortunately, doctors are often uncertain of these medications will affect you specifically, and if they will work to treat the symptoms that you came in without creating too many side-effects.
Between this prescription-first approach and the billions of dollars spent on drug lobbying every year there is no question that while many medical professionals have a genuine desire to help their patients get better, there does exist a strong financial incentive to simply write as many prescriptions as possible. This is part of why Dr. Jacobazzi has been so successful changing the lives of long-term pain sufferers over the last twenty years, bringing relief to people who thought they would never experience a life free of pain again.
HOW CAN PHYSICAL THERAPY AND CHIROPRACTIC CARE HELP BACK PAIN?
Spinal misalignment is a common cause of back pain. When a vertebra slides out of position and becomes stuck, this subtle shift stresses supporting structures. Muscles become tense and irritated, and muscle spasms often result. A spinal adjustment can address the alignment problem and allow the irritated muscles to relax. In addition, physical therapy helps to strengthen and stretch muscles promoting better body mechanics and a correct gait, which decreases the likelihood of further problems. By combining these treatment protocols together into his Non-Surgical Spinal Remodeling technique Dr. Jacobazzi offers his patients a 100% safe and effective means to combat your back pain without life-threatening and risky side effects.
WILL IT TAKE VERY LONG TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM?
Predicting the length of therapy is difficult, as everyone responds differently. Someone who has a short duration of minor back pain is less likely to need multiple adjustments or treatment. Long-standing chronic pain, however, often means the patient has changed his or her gait pattern, developed shortened muscles or otherwise compensated for the pain. This kind of condition is more likely to require multiple adjustments and treatments. Simply visiting a standard chiropractor every once in while may provide short-term relief, but without targeted physical therapy to accompany it the compensatory movements will cause the pain to return in fairly short order. Similarly a course of physical therapy by itself most likely will not be enough to correct and restore bones and joints which have become misaligned and no longer move normally, impinging nerves and reducing movement. Non-Surgical Spinal Remodeling is exceptionally effective at diagnosing and treating these types of persistent pain issues to achieve results that free you from the shackles of a life lived in pain.