Over recent years, more and more people have turned to chiropractors in order to get relief from a range of problems. Many prefer not to use drug-based medication to deal with certain medical and health issues, largely because of the undesirable side effects that they can result in. Some people may not even be able to use certain medications due to problems such as allergies and contraindications with other medications. Physical therapy can address a myriad of issues beyond back problems and bodily pain – migraine and headache sufferers have also been turning to chiropractors for treatment.
This is where chiropractic care can help. This form of treatment enables you to benefit from fast and efficient relief from a range of health issues. Moreover, it means that you can get this relief without having to rely on traditional medication. Another key benefit of using chiropractic care to address health issues is that it focuses on the root cause of the problem rather than just alleviating the symptoms on a short-term basis.
Migraines: one of the many health issues that can be treated by chiropractors
Many people are surprised to learn about the wide range of health problems that an experienced chiropractor can deal with. Often, people assume that chiropractic care involves only the treatment of back and neck issues. However, these professionals are able to deal with far more than this. Some of the areas of health that can be addressed and treated by an experienced chiropractor include:
- Immune system improvements
- A better range in terms of motion
- A reduction in back and neck pain
- Higher levels of energy
- The ability to function and focus better
- Improve flexibility and mobility
Below is a more detailed description of how these experts can deal with a wide range of common health problems:
- Back pain: Those who get regular back pain often visit a chiropractor, as this is one of the areas in which they specialize. Chiropractic treatment for back pain can prove to be extremely effective. Back pain is something that can be caused by various underlying problems. This includes poor posture and misalignment of the spine. This is something that one of these experts can treat through exploration and treatment of the root cause.
- Neck pain: This type of pain is related to back pain. It is an issue that can be caused by problems like poor posture and problems with alignment of the spine. An experienced chiropractor will make adjustments to align the spine, which in turn can help to reduce back and neck pain.
- Headaches: If you suffer from regular headaches and migraines, it could be because of various issues within the body. A chiropractor will look to treat the underlying problem or root cause. This approach is one that can help to reduce the risk of ongoing migraines and headaches.
- Sleep problems: Many problems can stem from lack of sleep or from poor quality sleep. This includes regular and intense headaches amongst other things. Often, people have problems with sleeping because of pain around their body. A visit to a chiropractor means that the cause of the pain can be looked into. This will then have a positive impact on sleep quality and reduce the likelihood of connected issues such as headaches.
- High stress levels: With the fast pace of life many of us have to cope with, stress has become a common issue. Many people suffer from stress in varying degrees. This can have a knock-on effect on both mental and physical health. A good chiropractor can deal with the release of stress and tension on the body. This will help you to feel far less stressed and more relaxed.
Getting help with migraines
As you can see, there are many health benefits that come from visiting a chiropractor for drug-free treatment to address a variety of issues. Many of those who visit one of these professionals do so due to recurring headaches and migraines. As anyone who has ever suffered from migraines will already know, these can be extremely debilitating and in some cases can last for very long periods of time. While some people immediately take tablets in a bid to try and alleviate the pain, this does not help them to solve the issue. While the headaches may be lessened or alleviated for a while, they will come back again and again until the root cause of determined and dealt with.
An experienced chiropractor knows that regular migraines are often down to another problem that is causing the headaches. When you go to someone that specializes in chiropractic care, they will be able to use their knowledge and expertise to try and find out what the cause of the headaches is. They will then know the route that needs to be taken in order to deal with the problem.
Many people suffer from migraines, and studies have suggested that there is a link between these headaches and abnormal blood and nervous system functioning. It is thought that changes in the functioning the nervous systems and blood could be part of the cause. A chemical imbalance in the body may also play a part in migraines. These severe headaches come in two main variations, and this is the common migraine and the classic migraine.
Migraine sufferers describe the pain that they feel after the onset of a migraine as pulsing, intense, severe, and throbbing. In general, the pain affects one side of the head rather than all of it. There are cases where the pain can spread.
Getting appropriate treatment
Research has been carried out over the years showing that chiropractic care has helped deal with the severity of migraines and how often they occur. It has proven especially effective in the treatment of a common migraine. This type of migraine accounts for the vast majority of attacks – up to around 85 percent.
There are a number of actions that a chiropractor may take after carrying out an initial assessment. This is an important stage, as the chiropractor will need to obtain as much information as possible in order to make an informed decision with regards to the most effective treatment method. In addition to finding out more about your medical history and when the headaches started, the chiropractor will also need to find out whether there is anything that tends to start the headaches or whether you are aware of anything that seems to make them worse.
There are various contributory factors that are thought to be closely linked to the onset of regular migraines. Some of these include postural issues, muscle tension in the neck area and restricted movement in the neck area. It is thought that these issues can play a part in the severity and frequency of migraines as well as of tension headaches.
The expertise of the professionals that offer chiropractic care means that they are equipped to deal with these potential underlying issues. Benefitting from treatment through chiropractic care means that the core issue can be addressed and this will then have a positive effect on headaches and migraines.
Muscle tension is one thing that can impact on headaches. This tension can be caused by problems with the vertebrae and they can affect the nerves that deal with the control of blood to the head. This muscle tension and he vertebral issues can be effectively relieved by the chiropractor. Once the tension has been relieved, this can provide welcome relief for migraine sufferers.
Assessment, examination, and treatment
In short, the chiropractic care process will work in three stages. The initial one is to have the assessment as detailed above. Once the chiropractor has obtained your medical history information and questioned you about things such as trigger points, you will undergo an initial examination. This then gives the chiropractor the chance to delve a little deeper with a view to identifying the root cause of the migraines that you are experiencing.
Once the chiropractor has carried out this examination, he or she will be able to fully explain what the cause of the headaches is likely to be. A plan can then be put into place to address that underlying problem. The number of sessions you will require can vary based on a number of factors. Sometimes you may only need one or two sessions. However, in some cases, it may be far longer. Once you have started receiving proper chiropractic care for your migraines, you should be able to enjoy speedy relief without the need to keep taking painkillers.